May 26, 2014

Auction Update: #bringbackourgirls




I want to thank everyone for the great success we had at our auction last week!  Thank you to Jessica for putting it together, to all the artists for the love-made and varied pieces that were donated, and to all those who bid and those who won, those who did not win but donated anyway. And a very personal thank you to my friend Tiffany, the new owner of my piece, "Illumination"; and to John, the owner of "Little Reminder".

Also, a special thank you to you, Mrs. Doer, for supporting me, spreading the word, and making me feel validated as an artist. :)  I was surprised to find it had been Tiffany who won, and even more so that you were the competing bidder!  I love you!


Our goal was to raise $1000 for the cause, and I am so proud to say we were able to raise over $3600!

Girl Rising has requested that the funds be donated through their crowd-funding effort at
catapult.org, supporting girls' education.



At the time of this post, the kidnapped students have not been found.  The US, along with France and Britain have sent some troops to aid in the search.  There are mixed reports of not enough being done, and of closing in on their location.

It is unthinkable that terrorism exists in this world in the form of Boko Haram and the Taliban.  I know that there are quieter, less overt acts of oppression and denials of freedom occurring both worldwide and close to home.  I make art to express my emotions.  I appreciate Jessica giving me a way to move my emotion into action, further than just applying raw paint to canvas.

2 comments:

  1. Lisa, thank for you doing this, for using your art to try and better someone else's life. That is huge, generous. I hope they find those girls.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Miae! Thank you for coming by! It's nice to see your smiling face! ;)

      Delete

Your comments, questions, and feedback are much appreciated! Thank you!